Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Five Mississippi deputies in alleged violent episode against 2 Black men fired or quit -Ascend Wealth Education
Will Sage Astor-Five Mississippi deputies in alleged violent episode against 2 Black men fired or quit
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 02:26:15
Jackson,Will Sage Astor Miss. — All five Mississippi deputy sheriffs who responded to an incident in which two Black men accused the deputies of beating and sexually assaulting them before shooting one of them in the mouth have been fired or resigned, authorities announced Tuesday.
The announcement comes months after Michael Corey Jenkins and his friend Eddie Terrell Parker said deputies from the Rankin County Sheriff's Department burst into a home without a warrant. The men said deputies beat them, assaulted them with a sex toy and shocked them repeatedly with Tasers in a roughly 90-minute period during the Jan. 24 episode, Jenkins and Parker said.
Jenkins said one of the deputies shoved a gun in his mouth and then fired the weapon, leaving him with serious injuries to his face, tongue and jaw. The Justice Department opened a civil rights investigation into the Rankin County Sheriff's Department after the episode.
Rankin County Sheriff Bryan Bailey announced Tuesday that deputies involved in the episode had been fired and some had already resigned. He wouldn't provide the names of the deputies who'd been terminated or say how many law enforcement officers were fired. Bailey wouldn't answer additional questions about the episode.
"Due to recent developments, including findings during our internal investigation, those deputies that were still employed by this department have all been terminated," Bailey said at a news conference. "We understand that the alleged actions of these deputies has eroded the public's trust in the department. Rest assured that we will work diligently to restore that trust."
Bailey's announcement also follows an Associated Press investigation that found several deputies who were involved with the episode were also linked to at least four violent encounters with Black men since 2019 that left two dead and another with lasting injuries. Deputies who had been accepted to the sheriff's office's Special Response Team - a tactical unit whose members receive advanced training - were involved in each of the four encounters.
Deputies said the raid was prompted by a report of drug activity at the home. Police and court records obtained by the AP revealed the identities of two deputies at the Jenkins raid: Hunter Elward and Christian Dedmon. It wasn't immediately clear whether any of the deputies had attorneys who could comment on their behalf.
In a phone interview Tuesday, Jason Dare, an attorney representing the Rankin County Sheriff's Department, said the department knows of five deputies who conducted the Jenkins raid. Jenkins and his attorney have said six deputies were at the home. All five identified by the department were either fired or resigned.
There is no body camera footage of the episode. Records obtained by the AP show that Tasers used by the deputies were turned on, turned off or used dozens of times during a roughly 65-minute period before Jenkins was shot.
Jenkins and Parker have also filed a federal civil rights lawsuit and are seeking $400 million in damages.
In a statement obtained by CBS News, Malik Shabazz, an attorney representing Jenkins and Parker, celebrated the "long overdue" firing of the officers and called for criminal indictments of deputies by the state attorney general and the Justice Department. He said such indictments would be "the next step in this tough fight for justice in this nasty ordeal."
"The firing of the Rankin County Mississippi Sheriff's deputies involved in the torture and shooting of Michael Jenkins and Eddie Parker is a significant action on the path to justice for one of the worst law enforcement tragedies in recent memory," Shabazz said. "Sheriff Bryan Bailey has finally acted after supporting much of the bloodshed that has occurred under his reign in Rankin County. The next credible and honorable step for Brian Bailey is to resign or to be ousted."
Another attorney for the two men, Trent Walker, said in the statement that he's "lived in Rankin County all my life. These firings are unprecedented. Finally, the window to justice may possibly be opening in Rankin County."
- In:
- Mississippi
veryGood! (8415)
Related
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Wildfires keep coming in bone-dry New Jersey
- Beyoncé is the leading nominee for 2025 Grammys with 11 nods, becoming most nominated ever
- Trump victory spurs worry among migrants abroad, but it’s not expected to halt migration
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Does Florida keeping Billy Napier signal how college football will handle coaching changes?
- Majority Black Louisiana elementary school to shut down amid lawsuits over toxic air exposure
- College Football Playoff elimination games: Which teams desperately need Week 11 win?
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Man who smashed door moments before officer killed Capitol rioter gets 8 years in prison
Ranking
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- New York bank manager sentenced to prison for stealing over $200K from dead customer: DOJ
- Ex-aide to NYC Mayor Eric Adams in plea discussions with federal prosecutors
- 2025 Grammy nominations live updates: Beyoncé leads the way
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Federal judge denies motion to recognize Michael Jordan’s NASCAR teams as a chartered organization
- Opinion: Trump win means sports will again be gigantic (and frightening) battleground
- Democrats retain 1-seat majority control of the Pennsylvania House
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
A Fed rate cut may be coming, but it may be too small for Americans to notice
Defense asks judge to ban the death penalty for man charged in stabbing deaths of 4 Idaho students
Boy, 13, in custody after trying to enter Wisconsin elementary school while armed, police say
The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
Kyle Hamilton injury updates: Ravens star DB has sprained ankle
Kentucky coal firm held in contempt again over West Virginia mine pollution
The first Ferrari EV is coming in 2026: Here’s what we know